Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Birthday

Norwegian stood in my bedroom, her soft face carrying a concerned expression.

"Drink this," she said, pushing a delicious mocha coffee my way. "You need it."

"Thanks," I said, gratefully sipping from the plastic cup.

"I don't get how you're still going," she noted. "I would be balling my eyes out."

"I'm kind of going back and forth," I admitted. "Every once in a while it'll really hit me and then I start crying, but I've been trying really hard not to do that."

She nodded.

Today was not the birthday I expected it to be. No one has died or is seriously ill or injured, but it was a very trying experience. I'll write a fuller post on it, when I have the energy. I haven't slept in more than a day.

"Yeah," I said. "I kept thinking it was the worst birthday ever because of everything that happened, but then this afternoon I looked on my Facebook page and saw how many people had written to wish me a happy birthday or just ask if I was okay. And then there were all the voicemails on my phone from people checking in to make sure I was alright."

The tears started welling in spite of me.

"I kind of realized that a lot of people love me," I said. My words were halting. "A lot of people really care about me. So I guess...it was a pretty good birthday."

Norwegian's blue eyes started to water.

"I think you need a hug," she said.

"I think so, too," I seconded.

She wrapped her arms tightly around me and I didn't fight it at all.

There, my face against her shoulder, it was okay to weep.

8 comments:

Woozie said...

?

A likely type said...

I'm happy to hear that you have people who care about you in your life.

I hope you can keep your head up through whatever it is that knocked you over.

Stay strong :)

laura b. said...

BB...I'm sorry to hear that things have been so rough for you. Accept all the love sent your way and don't let the other stuff weigh upon you too heavily.

Anonymously Me said...

Happy Birthday...

Harley said...

I wish you a good year. Obviously it wasn't a happy birthday but I hope that this age/year is good for you. I hope whatever it is doesn't stall you. Keep your chin up and your powder dry. x

secret agent woman said...

What Woozie said.

jo(e) said...

(o)

I've been traveling so much that I haven't been over here .... I don't think I even had a chance to wish you a happy birthday. But I'm thinking of you, and I hope everything is okay.

Sue said...

I've gotten so far behind with my blogging. We've had more family issues...more sick and dying parents. I just find it hard to read anything at the end of the day. So, I'm playing a bit of catch up. I'm sorry your birthday wasn't what you expected...but, if you have people that love you...you really have everything you need!