Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Caught in the Act

The bathrooms in Major University's student dining hall are designed in such a way that a person walking in cannot see the people who may or may not be standing at the urinals about five feet ahead of him.

Because of that unique (and, in retrospect, ill-advised) feature, the young man who entered just as I was finishing up had no idea he wasn't alone in the room.

I pulled the flushing handle and walked around to the sink to wash my hands, whereupon I found myself face to face with a student a year or two younger than me who had his shirt pulled up to his chin and was clearly examining the profile of his own abdomen in the mirror.

His eyes went as wide as a raccoon's and the white cotton tee was pulled down so quickly that his torso became a flesh-colored flash.

I started laughing and he shrugged with embarrassment.

"Hey, I gotta check myself out," he said as we passed each other. "I just ate and I feel like I'm fatter."

"No judgement," I said from the doorway.

I looked back and smiled.

"I thought I was the only one who did that."

4 comments:

jo(e) said...

Aw, that seems like such a sweet exchange. I love those kind of random moments of connection.

naturgesetz said...

LOL

Woozie said...

Not where I was expecting that to go lol

laura b. said...

Aw...nice that you were so cool at an awkward moment :-)