Tuesday, March 31, 2020

On Hold


I was supposed to be on a plane headed to the East Coast when it happened. First it was a few deaths at a nursing home in Seattle. Then the emergence of some cases in New York. Then local hospitals filled to capacity. New clusters emerging every day. One state after another, including Alaska, shuttering its schools and directing teachers to work from home. The shelter-in-place order, which seemed radical in the moment, coming in California, then in New York, then in Illinois. Over the weekend we got our own such mandate up here in the Arctic.

The preceding several weeks had seen me managing job applications and interviews, some within education and some without, and I was preparing for easily the most important meeting of my life when an e-mail from the employer appeared on my smartphone screen. For the safety of the applicants, interviews had been postponed indefinitely, but everyone who had earned a slot would still retain it for when things returned to normal. Whenever that was.

I'd already taken leave from work for a trip that wasn't going to happen, so I called my boss, cancelled the time off, and enjoyed an unscheduled spring break in Aurora City, eating sushi and ordering coffee and watching free cable TV as the news from the outside world grew ever more ominous. More than once, I looked out from my top-floor hotel suite and wondered if the virus was already moving in the streets below me. Each day delivered a news item that managed to make me cry.

And when I returned to Point Goldlace, it wasn't to a regular work environment after all; it was to a two-week quarantine, under the terms of which I'm still housebound. I expected to resume my regular schedule on April 6, but today came word that we'd be permitted to perform our duties remotely, reporting to school perhaps once a week to print necessary items.

As to what the next couple of months of my life looks like, I honestly don't know. The dirty secret of education right now is that the actual amount of things we can do without students is limited, and all of us are essentially just putting together substitute plans. The work of an entire week takes me an hour or two, and after that "working from home" means a lot of Internet and a lot of reading. Is this supposed to be how we exist until the end of May? And what comes then? Do I fly home to a diseased East Coast? Do I visit family? Is that even safe? What does a summer look like without freedom?

I'm leaving Point Goldlace at the end of this school year, but haven't yet informed our district administration. It's another one of those things that's fallen by the wayside in light of everything falling by the wayside.

I hope you're all healthy and safe. And I hope it all comes out right.


6 comments:

Ed said...

I have a lot of similar questions about the near future.

Jeff said...

Everything is in flux now. I wondered how online teaching would look way up north. But I assume these days, most everyone ever in areas that remote would have some access to internet. Hang in there.

www.thepulpitandthepen.com

Bob said...

Yes you’re in good company with your many questions. Lots and lots of unknowns. I hope you’ll soon have some answers, as I hope we all will. In the meantime we live in this moment and do the best we can. I hear the term “new normal” a lot. It’s anything but that.

Anonymous said...

The virus found the deepest corner of the world. Here in Germany we must stay at home since two weeks and there is no light at the end of the tunnel. We are still in a manageable situation but it may change and can get out of control as we see it at our friends and neighbors in France and Italy. I’m still optimistic that we will overcome the crisis within the next weeks. In Germany we are used in crisis with stupid leaders, wars, millions of deads, starvation and diseases.

I wish you to find a new job outside Alaska and hope that you can keep your identity and hair. When I was young, my hair was as long as yours but I had to cut to find an appropriate job in the industry. This was a sad but necessary decision.
Stay healthy !

Debby said...

Coming home from work one day last week (I'm considered essential), I saw 4 tennis players shaking hands over the net. It struck me right away. It was out of place, not in keeping with the rules of these days.

Strange isn't it, how something you wouldn't have given a second thought to six weeks ago has suddenly become an aberration?

So many questions. So few answers.

PS I am glad to see your post!

jo(e) said...

Waving hello from my part of the world.