Friday, July 31, 2020

Thresholds




I've crossed so many thresholds
And closed so many doors
I've dragged so many packaged lives
Across so many floors

I've glimpsed so many phantoms
I've dreamed so many dreams
A teasing taste of what could be
Under unchanging eaves

I've seen arrays of beauty
And cities burning bright
I've toasted over golden isles
Imbibed the Third Rome's light

I've seen the sky burn emerald
On cold thousand-star nights
From my steps I watched the mighty
Yukon turn to ice

Each place becomes a capsule
Each pane a frozen line
Each to be traded in its turn
For none of them are mine

A tenant of existence
In rented roles I find
While seeking over compass points
One door to stay behind

3 comments:

Debby said...

Beautiful!

Debby said...

I actually came back a couple of times to reread this, and it's a lovely thought, simply accepting that places will change and things will change and YOU will change... a graceful and easy letting go. Something, unfortunately, that I have never mastered.

Debby said...

now that school has begun, I find myself wondering where you have wound up.