Wednesday, January 14, 2009

An Announcement About Four Cousins

First of all, let me say thank you to everyone for all the very nice comments on the last post. I've enjoyed reading them, as always.

Several posts back, I mentioned a book that I'm currently writing, with the working title of "Four Cousins."

I have decided that I'd like to share this with you and get feedback, so now every Friday you can head over to bbsbook.blogspot.com for a new chapter. Between Friday chapters and Monday Journals Sections (which haven't been posted for a few months or so), there's quite a bit going on here.

I started this project in November of 2003, when I was fifteen years old, and then left it alone with thirty some pages done as other events in 2004 turned my life into whirlwind of adventure, friendship, and some loss. I'd been meaning to get back to the idea, which I adored, for years, but had never set aside the time.

Finally, during my Sophomore Year of college, I made a resolution. The story in my head was too wonderful not to write, so I vowed that during the week of Thanksgiving, which I spent at my grandmother's house in Native State, I would edit what I had completed so far and have no changes left to make when I returned home to Southern State.

Fixing all the kinks in the writing had bedeviled me for four years, but that November week in 2007 I buckled down and finally did it.

Over Christmas Break the same year, I began to write new material. It was hard, at first, to revive something that had lain so long dormant, but with time it's become much easier.

Events within my family have perhaps pushed me into wishing to complete this project even more; Semi-Famous Cousin, currently in Bison City, Northern State (far from his home in Sprawling State), is preparing to begin a national book tour this month promoting his debut novel, which goes on sale across the country in late January.

I read the book in 2004, when it was still a manuscript, and have yet to see the final copy, which I'm eager to get my hands on.

While I'm happy for his success, it also makes me feel as if I'm falling behind; he's already receiving acclaim for his tale, while mine is nowhere near finished. Then again, he is in his thirties, so maybe I'm not trailing quite as badly as I imagine.

Anyway, I wish for reponses of all kinds. Plot predictions, character analyses, favorite personalities, likes and dislikes, and any other opinion about "Four Cousins" are all welcome.

I've posted the Introduction and Chapter 1 at bbsbook.blogspot.com

I hope you enjoy.

No comments: