Friday, December 18, 2009

As the Storm Approaches

I'm sitting at my kitchen table, eating a second bowl of my mother's famous chicken noodle soup, a huge batch of which she made in advance of the serious winter snow storm headed this way.

Our entire metropolitan area is under a winter storm warning, this rural town in the mountains bracing for a snow total expected to exceed twenty inches. As of this afternoon, the Mountain Town region was slated for one to two feet of snow.

My mother rushed to the grocery store today to stock up on food and other essentials, and tonight she's herding the family out to the movies while the roads are still clear, before we're hit around midnight.

"We're going to be stuck in this house for two or three days," she said when I objected to accompanying them. "We should get out and do something while we can."

All throughout Saturday, we're expected to accumulate one to two inches per hour, and possibly more.

Once the deluge begins, our family will be well supplied with soup, meat, snacks, toilet paper, soap, DVDs, and anything else we need to remain self-sufficient during what is sure to be a blowout.

I'm quite excited.

10 comments:

Omar said...

Storm-stayed for two to three days on two feet of snow? This Canadian laughs at such talk! I remember back in the late 80s we experienced a nor'easter that saw Halifax have snow drifts of up to six feet and Moncton had six feet that actually fell! Two feet is just a dusting.

Woozie said...

That's Omar. He's Canadian.

Anyway, I ain't afraid of no snow. I have plenty of movies and old HBO dramas on my computer that I need to watch at some point, and if anyone has a massive heart attack we have four wheel drive.

Gauss Jordan said...

I'm reminded of when we supposedly were getting a hurricane in Central Texas (just after Katrina in '05, so there was a bit of a panic). I went to the grocery store to just buy my normal weekly groceries, and they were cleaned out. I checked for pop tarts out of morbid curiosity -- they were out, including the store brand.

Of course the day the storm was supposed to hit was gorgeous. Blue skies, kind of windy, a little cooler than normal. I was amused.

Sue said...

We have traveled south to spend the holiday with my parents and daughter. It is supposed to be in the 30's here the next couple mornings! The weather is bizarre everywhere! Merry Christmas...the soup sounds good.

Omar said...

That's Omar. He's Canadian.

The Canadas. That cluster of mini-nations that through their geographically superior position have determinedly played perennial top to the American bottom since time immemorial. Be dears and fix us all a drink when you get yourselves shoveled out of your wintry quagmire, hmmmm?

Glennis said...

Well, have a good time snuggling against the storm. I remember that delicious anticipation when snow was on its way - I loved it, my mom & dad not so much. Our son flew out of JFK a mere three hours before the storm, and now he's here in sunny beautiful Southern California where it's 77 degrees F.

I don't mean to rub it in, but ahhhhh! it's lovely here.

Stay warm and safe everyone - including Omar.

secret agent woman said...

We got snow, too, but not enough to get us stuck.

Madame DeFarge said...

Hope you don't resort to cannibalism if the food runs out. But if you do, you can always blog about it.

BrightenedBoy said...

Omar: It's all relative, I guess. I'd personally love it if we got snow like this on a regular basis, but I don't think most of the other people here would feel the same way.

Woozie: You might have gotten it even worse than I did.

Sue: That part of the country does have some chilly mornings in December and January. I remember being surprised about that when I lived there.

G: Oh, it doesn't bother me at all. I love this weather. If anything, I'd have to restrain myself from rubbing it in for you.

Secret Agent Woman: I'm sorry to hear that. It's been a lot of fun.

Madame DeFarge: There's plenty of Ramen noodles to get through before we start eating each other.

YourFireAnt said...

BB: You are right; it is all relative. Up here 2 feet of snow is nothing because we have good snow removal equipment and staff. We love the winter too. Some of us.