Sunday, January 5, 2014

Move-in Day

It was just me, the rain, and eternity as I drove down a stormy grey highway from upper Southern State into the Goldlands. I listened to a record from one of my favorite artists, a new offering from an old standby, and otherwise occupied my time by talking on the phone with Black Dress Girl and reflecting on my worries. It would be a lie to say they weren't there.


Still, through ice and fog and freezing rain, I made it to the home that will at least nominally be mine for something like the next four months. It's a huge old place, a sprawling 1970s mansion placed inexplicably in the middle of a modern housing development. Its residents are a septet of young Christian men who have charged me a suitably charitable rent, and I'm eager to repay that gift with courtesy. I'd consider it a blessing if I could make any new friends along the way.


Tomorrow morning I'll get up at six o'clock--something that's been unfathomable to me since high school ended eight years ago--and practice the arduous commute into Marble City, a trek I hope time will tame. My biggest single obstacle, and my biggest source of anxiety, will be arriving at the train station and finding parking. If I can do that I know everything else will be fine.

And then there's the internship itself. It's only two days a week, but those two days loom large in my mind. I hope I'll learn all I need to learn. I hope I'll do all I need to do. This could be a gateway to my future, and I'm thankful for the chance to open it.

5 comments:

naturgesetz said...

I didn't realize it was that wintry down yonder (because I don't look at national weather reports).

You've got the issue with your method of commuting well identified. If it turns out to be difficult (or worse) finding a parking space when you get to the station, there are a couple of ways to deal with it.

The obvious one is to take an earlier train. This means having more time in Marble City, and it would make sense to figure out a good use for it: where to go and what to do. Maybe a bit of trial and error will be involved in finding something that works.

Alternatively, you might be able to find another station with more space available in the lots for the same train you're planning to take. You could scout out other stations on days you don't actually have to make the commute.

Here's hoping all goes well in the new (temporary) home and the internshhip.

jo(e) said...

Transitions can be stressful -- but also exciting. I hope this will be a wonderful new start.

Anonymous said...

I think you'll be fine. I am worried about getting my butt into work tomorrow on time! But that's only because I've slept late for 15 of the past 16 days (and the one day I got up early, I went out, had breakfast with a friend, then came home and took a nap).

That is a mansion! I hope everything works out well in the roommate department and the with the internship.

Peace <3
Jay

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you in your new home and your new internship.

cheryoncake said...

Sounds like the start of a new era at the start of a new year. Good luck with it all