Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Long, Dark Night


In the nearly six years I've been blogging, I've never been absent from the site for so long. I'm not taking a hiatus or anything of that sort--in truth, I can't imagine it--but I am pausing the narrative that's proceeded uninterrupted here since 2008. Back then, everything seemed like a progression leading to something else. Now, with the economic dislocation of of the last decade persisting into the middle part of this one, a number of my plans have been thrown into the air.

For the first time in a long time, I'm uncertain. Not regarding my eventual success--as uncertainty in that quarter has plagued me for years--but regarding what path I even want to take. What now? Teaching? A second undergraduate degree? Journalism? Public relations? Which of those is even attainable? And what will I do in the meantime?

So if I'm circumspect, please forgive me. It's not that I don't want to share, just that I'm not sure what's actually happening. And with everything changing so quickly, I don't want to begin telling threads that might just peter off. So for the moment we'll say that things are unmoored. And I'll let you know when that changes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Circumspect is good. It allows you to weigh the opportunities.

How did the internship go? Are you still doing anything with the publishing house?

As to the future. I loved journalism. Well, photojournalism, but telling the story is telling the story. I did it well (am I allowed to brag on your blog? HAHAHA). Your background tells me that journalism is a valid course of action! Just my thoughts.

Peace <3
Jay

naturgesetz said...

When you can't make what's happening fit into your plans, then maybe it's time to go with the flow for a bit. You have several career directions that you think could be good ones for you. The thing I'd suggest is to continue to look for opportunities in all of them. You can take whatever opens up without necessarily closing the door forever on other possibilities.

It could even happen that for a while you'll have to take a job in a field that you don't see as one you want to make a career of. That's okay. For one thing, you can continue to look for other opportunities. For another, you might find that you like it after all.