Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Beginning of an Era


I thought I'd failed it.

I flunked, the words repeated in my head. I flunked, I flunked, I flunked.

I wasn't going to pass the exam. I wasn't going to get into graduate school. I wasn't going to have a career or ever escape the house that had brought me embarrassment and misery and my violent rendezvous with death.

But that isn't how things are actually going to go.

The envelope came in the mail with two very simple words: 86th percentile.

I hadn't just gotten through the thing. I'd scored higher than almost 90% of the people who'd taken the test nationwide.

And I'm in.

On August 25, I will commence classes at the delightful little school--Mountain University--pictured above, and in two years I will conclude those classes with a master's degree in education. After that, I've decided: I'm headed north. Our Family has resided in Southern State for the last four hundred years. Well, it's been a cool four centuries. But I'm me.

"Yes, yes, come to Northern State!" a blogging friend encouraged me by text.

"Get up here!" chorused a college buddy who teaches in the City of Fate. "I'm so happy that you're doing this."

I've been fascinated by the Snowstorm region since I was a teenager, and why shouldn't I pursue my dreams? I'm having this marvelous revelation that life can be a thing you enjoy.


"I wonder what the North will be like?" I mused to Black Dress Girl between sips of iced coffee. "I've never really been there."

Because let's face it, the City of Fate is a region unto itself.

"People up there are generally nicer," she said. "And better educated. It's kind of refreshing. But don't expect me to visit you in the winter. I am not even about that."

After the teaching career, of course, comes the second teaching career: a high school position is just a stepping stone on the way to a college professorship in history. That will take a doctorate, which I hope Northern State's outstanding universities will prove helpful in furnishing. But we have to take one step at a time.

So the blogger you met as a college student will soon be a college student once more. And this graduation will be a world removed from the last one.


7 comments:

naturgesetz said...

Of course this is wonderful news! I'm sure you have what it takes to succeed at Mountain U.

If you go to Northern State, or another northern state, if you don't find the winters intolerable, you'll find them exhilarating. And there are so many places where you can teach, in addition to the City of Fate, and so many fine universities in the other northern states as well as Northern State.

Congratulations on getting to the point where you are now, and prayerful best wishes for ongoing success.

Anonymous said...

Truly GREAT! There was no doubt you'd get in.

I think you will find more "northern" universities more open and accepting. The winters are OK. You can bunk in my place if it gets too cold!!

When you get closer to graduation, get in touch. I work for a school system, and will be happy to feed you info from the region which in in Central Virgina.

We will stay in touch!

Peace <3
Jay

Angel The Alien said...

Congratulations! That is so exciting! Going for a masters degree is a huge deal.
So what is this mysterious northern state you're thinking of moving to? If its Chicago, I can tell you now, you won't enjoy the winters! Snow is much prettier in pictures than it is in real life! ;) I am moving to Oregon most likely, so instead of freezing in snow I'll be drowning in rain!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, you are amazing! This is the start of a happy, finally rewarding and stimulating life for you. You're so smart, you deserve to be surrounded by people and situations that can challenge you.
Winters can be difficult here, but once you adjust and learn to dress for the cold, they are livable. The advantages of living up here greatly outweigh disadvantages.

we_be_toys said...

I was going through some old blogposts and came across your name and some of the lovely supportive things you said to me. It got me wondering where you were and how you're doing. I came over to your blog and there you are, done with college and on your way to grad school! I'm so proud of you, for following your dreams, for being you really. Just wanted to wish you all the best and let you know you were on my mind.

dawn marie giegerich said...

Southerners don't always transplant well. They can't connect with the cold. Cold is a state that forces you to stand still. It can be healing for depressed people.

Arizaphale said...

This post is awesome not only for the news that you are on your way, but because of the comments and posts below. I was so moved to see Rebecca's post (knowing what she is going through) and then the quality (if quirky) Dawn...some of my fave people. BB my advice to you is try not to plan too far ahead. Set yourself up as well as you can and then go with the flow. I'm sure it will take you to good places....xx