Friday, November 30, 2012

The Man in the Black Cloak

I am stalked by the man in the black cloak
Whose gaze is so hateful and stride is so strong
His skin has no shine, nor his hands any warmth--I know from when I've felt them
But his footfalls take so precise a path

The man in the black cloak is going to kill me
I've known it for a while

I find him in the strangest places
Standing beside the young men in the park
Where he blasphemes the sunlight with his sallow palms
And turns magnolia trees to weeds

He leers at me with pointed teeth
His mouth a hungry pit of doubt
He smiles from the dressing-room mirror
And from my kitchen window

My kitchen window

HE'S RIGHT OUTSIDE MY KITCHEN WINDOW
Now I can never eat again

No one else sees him
Except those who do
And they all run away
For he is hideous to look upon, and has so fearful a grin

I would run, too
If he would not follow me
With his moonlight skin and gaping mouth
And his bloody red eyes

The eyes are the worst
Their cracked glare a laughing portrait of what I was
And a howling crimson vista
Of what I am

Once you see those eyes you can never unsee them
And they will never unsee you

He drags his talons across my chest
And leaves dappled maroon paths along my hairless back
His legs are long spears of ice that sear when he crawls unbidden to my bed
He's the only man who stays

He whispers sweet nothings in my ear
Of the fat that oozes across my stomach and down my thighs
Like the venom dripping from his jagged maw
Of the rats and spiders that will eat my face should I chance to fall asleep

He is clad in bank statements and cameras and pounds
Beneath his grease-stained cowl
And before he leaves he exacts a promise
Made in putrid breath, that I will keep him in my thoughts my every waking moment

And I always do
I always do

The man in the black cloak is going to kill me
I've known it for a while

4 comments:

naturgesetz said...

That reads like the scenario of a horror movie, with the man getting closer every stanza.

Of course, I hope it's fiction, not metaphor.

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. God. What strong, horrible (in a good way?) imagery. This is an amazing piece. A nightmare I never wish to have. I, too, hope this is fiction.

Peace <3
Jay

Arizaphale said...

Do NOT let him win. You ARE in control. Do NOT give him permission.
Chilling reading.

dawn marie giegerich said...

Depression sucks. I recommend Effexor 300 mg.
Zoloft causes over production of white blood cells in the lining of the colon and I think you know the Prozac argument.